I usually ride Saturday mornings with some cycling friends. They're
great guys and I always have fun riding with them, but these are guys
who not only won't ride when it's raining, they won't ride-- I am not
making this up-- when the roads are wet. Which not exactly my
attitude. I'm more of a bike anywhere for any reason kind of person.

Yesterday morning was sunny and warm, but I didn't feel like getting
up so the ride went without me. So there I was at 3:00 this afternoon,
heading out on my Atlantis. Without the boys on their dainty carbon
bikes with fragile 23mm tires, I was free to enjoy some dirt, so I
turned off the standard paved loop to the fire road up Windy Hill. I
was determined to get all the way up to the top cleanly, trying to use
all the dirt suggestions you guys have been giving this week. All was
going well until I got to the very steepest pitch and for some reason
they'd put a load of loose gravel on the bottom section. Too slippy
for me, though I tried twice. But next week I'll try again. I think
maybe if I just try to spin faster up the bottom part of the steep
section I can get past the gravel, then hope to have enough energy to
continue as it gets even steeper for a few tens of yards.

On the top of the ridge it was getting late and and the wind was
blowing. OK well, I guess that's why it's called Windy Hill. Happily I
had taken the elementary precaution of bringing along an Ibex wooly
zip-tee. All of you should buy one or more of those woolies-- they are
absolutely fantastic for an extra layer when it starts getting cold,
and they wad up so small. Not that carrying capacity is an issue on
this particular bike, as we will shortly see. More climbing on
pavement, and then it was time for the long descent. With the low
clouds and the late hour, I was glad that the Atlantis has a generator
hub wired to head and taillights. No need to worry about approaching
darkness or dead batteries, I just flipped the light switch and I was
good to go zooming down the hill.

At the bottom it was time to go home to cook dinner, but I had to buy
it first. Would my new Saddlesack, the arrival of which consoled me
for having to missing the RBW garage sale, be able to swallow up two
gallons of milk, five pounds of potatoes, pound and a half of chicken,

--
-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels