Pretty amazing Anne.  Seems like if someone likes riding a bike, they'd like
riding it rain or shine...

Today is drizzly/misty in SoCal, so I put on my skinny (36mm!!!) tires and
mudguards <http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/5090485054/>.  I wasn't
expecting to see anyone, but was happily surprised to cross paths with four
other riders.  That was over an hour, so comparable to my four hour/40
cyclists ride from yesterday (yes, I count cyclists).

Who says SoCal cyclers don't go out if the temp dips below 65F!!!

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Anne Paulson <anne.paul...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Don't know how this got sent before I finished it. Here's the complete
> version:

> I usually ride Saturday mornings with some cycling friends. They're
> great guys and I always have fun riding with them, but these are guys
> who not only won't ride when it's raining, they won't ride-- I am not
> making this up-- when the roads are wet. Which not exactly my
> attitude. I'm more of a bike anywhere for any reason kind of person.
>
> Yesterday morning was sunny and warm, but I didn't feel like getting
> up so the ride went without me. So there I was at 3:00 this afternoon,
> heading out on my Atlantis. Without the boys on their dainty carbon
> bikes with fragile 23mm tires, I was free to enjoy some dirt, so I
> turned off the standard paved loop to the fire road up Windy Hill. I
> was determined to get all the way up to the top cleanly, trying to use
> all the dirt suggestions you guys have been giving this week. All was
> going well until I got to the very steepest pitch and for some reason
> they'd put a load of loose gravel on the bottom section. Too slippy
> for me, though I tried twice. But next week I'll try again. I think
> maybe if I just try to spin faster up the bottom part of the steep
> section I can get past the gravel, then hope to have enough energy to
> continue as it gets even steeper for a few tens of yards.
>
> On the top of the ridge it was getting late and and the wind was
> blowing. OK well, I guess that's why it's called Windy Hill. Happily I
> had taken the elementary precaution of bringing along an Ibex wooly
> zip-tee. All of you should buy one or more of those woolies-- they are
> absolutely fantastic for an extra layer when it starts getting cold,
> and they wad up so small. Not that carrying capacity is an issue on
> this particular bike, as we will shortly see. Feeling a bit peckish, I
> pulled out the bag of Quadratini cookies and munched a few.
>
> More climbing on pavement, and then it was time for the long descent.
> With the low
> clouds and the late hour, I was glad that the Atlantis has a generator
> hub wired to head and taillights. No need to worry about approaching
> darkness or dead batteries, I just flipped the light switch and I was
> good to go zooming down the hill.
>
> At the bottom it was time to go home to cook dinner, but I had to buy
> it first. Would my new Saddlesack, the arrival of which consoled me
> for having to missing the RBW garage sale, be able to swallow up two
> gallons of milk, five pounds of potatoes, pound and a half of chicken,
> two onions, some garlic, a loaf of French bread and some other
> assorted groceries? This was my first time using it for such a big
> load. I was delighted to discover that the straps can reposition for
> big loads. Everything fitted easily, with the French bread stuck
> sideways on the outside under the straps. I put my lock in an outside
> pocket, snapped the little wallet holder pocket back on top, and rode
> [...]

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

*...in terms of recreational cycling there are many riders who would
probably benefit more from
improving their taste than from improving their performance.* - RTMS