Beth:

Thank you for sharing your info from within the bike biz.  It has the
cold ring of reality.  Since my now 7+ year old Atlantis is my only 8
speed bike, and everything else around here is 7, I'm stocking up on
chains.  I've been collecting 7 & 8 speed cassettes off the close out
table for quite a while but a few more won't hurt.

dougP