That sounds like it might help... but maybe not, by itself.

Some of the problems of mounting have to do with (1) the diameter of
the curves which snug around the stays; no matter how much coating
there is, you have to really careful to avoid the rigid metal pushing
right through it to contact the frame (the Hupe don't flex much there)
and (2) the metal within the coating can have a rough surface, making
(1) more likely and worse than it might be were the surface smooth.
Bending the Hupe's curves to better match your stays' size where they
make contact may help, as might "de-burring" or generally smoothing
the Hupe's metal surface (after which it'd probably be a good idea to
re-coat it as you suggest).

All speculation, but trying all of this sounds like fun and is on my
list of Things I'd Love To Do But May Never Get Around To. After all,
I'm already in my late 40s.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean