Have used both Nokian and Schwalbe studded tires.  Prefer the Schwalbe
as the tires seem to run smoother.  Mostly on roads with occasional
ice patches.

If you live in an area where studs are not needed, then Schwalbe
Marathon Crosses might do.  Semi open tread and fit well on a Sam
Hillborne.

My own way is putting my Hillborne indoors and going with a different
bike with studs for the winter.  Not the snow/ice, but the lack of
maintenance and salt that keeps it inside.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN