I haven't been to Belize but I have spent a lot of time on the Mexican
coast south of Cancun which is far more affluent (road Infrastructure)
than southern neighbor Belize I'm told. That said, the locals ride the
road regularly, but there is rarely a shoulder to use. I've rented
bikes down there but I stick to residential areas. I did meet a chap
from Oregon who rode out to Coba' from Tulum and he seemed to be in
good spirits. I was amazed at his plans because the roads are seldom
wide enough for two cars let alone room for a bike to pass safely.

~Mike~