On Oct 29, 2:25 pm, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Second observation: gearing: this sort of course seems like a good
> candidate for a ss: say 60" to 65"; I used to use 63" for allrounder
> dirt-cum-pavement. I don't see anyone twiddling and a sub 65" gear is
> low enough to get you through surprisingly deep muck (I used it on
> sand here in dry ABQ) yet high enough that you don't spin your eyes
> out on the rare flat-'n'-smooths.
>
> What do y'all think?

for the die-hard cx ss'ers, any course is a good candidate for a
single gear!  2:1 is a good starting point - I see lots of 39x18 or
34x17 out there (in the ss category, of course - ss'ers aren't really
competitive in the elite or even cat 3 fields), and that seems
reasonable for most New England courses I race.  CX is hard.  SSCX is
really hard - those who do it tend to rock.