Jason:

I was having some weird, unintended shifting issues a while back and
someone on the list suggested looking at the RD pulleys.
Specifically, if your rear derailer is intended for indexing, the
upper pulley may be floating, i.e., have a lot of free play.  My
problem went away when I swapped the upper & lower pulleys.  This is
Shimano cassette & RD, with Suntour BarCon friction shifters.  If your
RD is fairly new, this is probably a long shot.

dougP