> I put that off for two years, and finally took the honjos and racks off my
> Saluki. The staining from salty sweat was pretty severe and to get good elbow
> grease on them required removal. Two applications of Maguiar's Mag & Aluminum
> Polish has helped, but not made them like new yet.

Aluminum is relatively porous. If you want your fenders to resist
staining, put some car wax onto them before you install them, and
about once a year afterward. Otherwise, you can get severe staining
after just a few months of riding, even if you don't sweat on them.
The volcanic ash of Mount St. Helens seems particularly corrosive...

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com