Like a lot of people, getting a Riv included for me the epiphany that
pedaling free is a great option.  I do ride with toe clips and with
clipless pedals sometimes, but I pedal free exclusively for commuting
and S24O's and a lot of my road riding.  I love the MKS sneaker
pedals.  I want to like the Grip Kings, but I don't feel I get enough
lateral support.  My right ankle is weak from being rolled over
numerous times.  Riding with the Grip Kings gives me the feeling that
my right foot is going to spill over the outside edge of the pedal.

Today I took on the DIY task of modifying my Grip Kings to give me the
lateral support I want.  I think it turned out really well.  I posted
a youtube on the process, if you care to check it out.  These might
now be my perfect pedal.  I'll try them out over the next several
weeks.

Have a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo0YlOqqISs