>To my eye, lots of spacers = tall quill stem. Aesthetically, neither one is
>great

I fought am fighting this as well.  But I've always had huge amounts
of seat post .. and spacers.
Photos here:   http://tksleeper.spaces.live.com

Then when I bought my AHH I notcied that even with a fist full of seat
post (guess that is a gauge)  I still had like 14cm of quill .. I just
figured the purpose of the Copper Bell was to make that space pretty
again.

I noticed on the Bombadils a lot of people go with dirtdrop and such
to get away from the longer quill???

Kelly