Nice blog = ) .......... it somewhat supports my unscientific testing
over the last few years on numerous rides of varying length.  My
findings....a light wheeled, light (21 pound) vintage race bike
accelerates fast, my recumbent accelerates slower but cruises faster
over flat and rolling terrain regardless, most of the time, my Surly
Trucker and 38mm tires is the most comfortable bike I own and the most
versatile, my home made two speed (about 22 pounds) taught me to pedal
fast if I wanted to go fast and after a couple thousand miles the
chain is still not stretched on the gauge, my old Centurion mustache
barred bike gave me the fastest time to work of any bike (once), I
rode my recumbent ten rolling miles in 30 minutes and did it again on
my Surly Trucker with 32mm tires at 90 psi a year later, I went down a
hill on my Rans V2 at 49 mph and it scared the beans out of me then I
stupidly did it a year later on a steeper hill on my old Raleigh (but
even faster) and my brakes faded to nothing when I tried to stop,
nearly hitting a truck, I think I want a Rivendell Simple One because
I like Simple stuff but I have too many bikes already and I must sell
a few before I can afford one. Go Rivendell.........you folks (Grant)
inspired me to get comfortable on an upright bike again and that has
helped me to stay more active than I would have otherwise plus it has
made me happier