On Nov 24, 7:08 am, Ely Rodriguez <elyk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just wondering if I can have some tips or start an informational
> email exchange with other bag makers.

I've actually sewn my own bag for my Brompton.  You can get a Brompton
bag support for about $30 but the available bags are fairly expensive
and more importantly, didn't fit my requirements.  So I decided to sew
my own.  In the end, it turned out fairly well, and I've been using it
since for about a year now without having to repair anything.

The challenges I've found are:
1. No pattern for me so I sketched out designs and winged it.
Figuring out how everything will fit and sew together into one bag was
quite fun actually.
2. I couldn't find anything better than 10oz duck canvas.  I did treat
the duck with bees' wax from Rivbike though! :)
3. My cheap sewing machine didn't like multiple layers of duck,
interfacing and lining, especially at corners.
4. It took a long time to sew what was essentially a one-off.
Certainly, it was expensive, labor-wise.
5. The leather straps I used was from Acorn and they were thick enough
and my equipment not adequate enough that I had to drill tiny holes
and then hand-sew the straps on.

If I have to do it again, I will, but only if I have a better machine
and access to better material.

-B