I agree, finding the right material and machine are difficult!!!

Lee, there are tons of heavy duty machines on SF craigslist!
Also, ebay is really good and the shipping is decent.
If you are in SF, you can come over and try my machine out.
I've made a blog for people to look at my work.
The early ones are a bit rough, the newer bags have thicker material
and leather.
On my new blog, I will try to include sources for the materials I use.
Please feel free to post comments on my work.
I am very critical about all of them, so more criticism would be
great!
I'm also working on some patterns/templates.
http://bagsbyelyinsf.blogspot.com/
-Ely