With leather trim! :)

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean

----- Original Message ----- From: "JimD" <rasterd...@comcast.net>
To: <rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [RBW] Re: Splats - Very Effective

I'm hoping there will be Splats in tweed.

-JimD

On Nov 25, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Kelly wrote:

Great!  I'm looking forward to mine arriving via ups.  I ordered them
a couple days ago for my size 13's.

Thanks for the update on them.

Kely

On Nov 25, 7:33 am, Thomas Lynn Skean <thomaslynnsk...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Hi, all!

I rode home last night in rain which was on/off throughout the 10+ mile ride. It probably rained for half of the 55 minutes I was on the bike. It was slow going even by *my* standards. 20mph headwind. Upright. That is, your-back-against-the-chair's-back upright. Cape.

I was also wearing Splats. I'm sure that if they slowed me down at all it was marginal. And worth it. Because right now my size 11.5 leather Keens are *not* beginning a two-day drying process with the laces removed and the tongue hanging out. They didn't get wet.

Oh sure there was a little moisture at the shoe's foot opening. And I'd guess that if the rain were continuous and the ride twice as long that my heel'd be kinda damp. But the Splats were very effective at keeping the forward part of my shoe completely dry. The wind did not curl or crease them. Like the SaddleSack bags, even when the canvas looks soaked, the contents remain dry.

And, being dry, my feet stayed warm in the wind. I don't normally suffer from cold toes. But last night's 36 degrees and high winds would've been chilly had my feet been wet. But they were not.

The canvas isn't long-term waterproof. They're gonna work fine for me on my commute and errands. And probably for my weekend 30-40 mile rides (during which it never rains *continuously*). But I would not expect them to fend off constant rain for many hours. They aren't neoprene. They are Grundens-slicker-fabric. (Surely that stuff has an actual name.)

They *are* more like a cape than a coat for your feet. Which means that your feet won't contribute much more than normal to their own dampness. Which is good. They do provide *some* wind-blockage but I can't really speak to how much warmth they'd save in dry conditions. That'd be an off-label use anyway.

It's a good simple design. They're easy to lash on to the outside of bag (where they dry quickly when the rain stops). They're trivial to put on and take off (no 10 minutes of cardio-tugging; ever try to pull booties over Keens?). They work with the shoes you'll be wearing, narrow or wide (somebody with size 13 feet'll have to give them a try; there's some extra space with my 11.5 feet but not tons). That all adds up to a big feature: you'll be more likely to have them and to put them on when warranted. Thus more likely to actually have dry feet.

Splats are great. Thanks, RBW.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean