Following our story of the new-to-her 47 cm Atlantis posted earlier,
my wife has been on the bike now 3 days this weekend (and we've still
got Sunday afternoon).  After picking up the bike during last
weekend's inclement (for us) weather, her first chance to get in a
decent ride was Thanksgiving day.  The drop bars and bar end shifters
were new to her so we took the familiar Newport Back Bay loop, a 22
mile RT from our home.  She was so comfortable and confident with the
bike that she insisted on taking it the next day on an overnight to
San Diego with our local club.  I suggested that she take her trusty
Trek (flat bars, grip shift) but was over-ruled.

Bright & early Friday AM, we dropped our luggage at the start and
hopped the train south to Oceanside.  This cut the mileage to around
40, a comfortable distance for her.  We took all the meandering back
lanes I know of to minimize time on PCH and maximize the scenic
element.  Many of our friends in the bike club had moaned about the
dreaded Torrey Pines grade.  IMHO this is highly over blown.  When we
took a rest stop at the park at the base of the grade, I gave her the
choice of the main highway or the old road.  For those unfamiliar with
it, the old road is perhaps one-third the distance so obviously a good
deal steeper.  There is an interesting museum right at the top, and
the views are worth the climb.  She opted for the old road and made it
to the top non-stop.  She was so glad to be on the Atlantis and said
she'd have been pushing her Trek, even though it's also fitted with
very low gearing.

The weather was picture perfect and we arrived in San Diego in plenty
of time for some wandering about.  She's often ready for a short nap
after 40 miles but not Friday.  After our group explored Little Italy
on Friday night, we rode thru the harbor area and caught the Bayside
Bike Trail back up Coronado and the ferry back to downtown.  My wife
couldn't be happier with the Atlantis and personally supervised its
ribbing about having matching bikes but it's all in good fun.  On the
way home she was musing about other potential weekend tours, so I see
lots of mileage in the future for Mini-lantis.

dougP