I have to disagree with some of the statements.

V-brakes are just easier not to screw up during setup (fewer
adjustments, fewer things to setup wrong), thats really the only major
advantage, there is a small leverage benefit but canti's have better
modulation in general.

If you setup Canti's properly and run the right brake pads and proper
short pull levers they will stop as well as any cable actuated rim
brake will maybe even as good as cable discs. I have bikes that run
Canti's that you can lock up the wheels with 1 finger. I have also
used V-brakes that sucked.

The trick is older Canti's can be a pain to setup right, Im talking XT
cantilever brakes here or similar. Or really any kind that uses the
plain non-threaded post mount brake pads, except the 90's Avid
Cantilever brakes those are the best for setup ever. Most of it is
about geometry though. You have to have the Straddle cable setup right
and then have to have the brake pads hitting the rim at 90 degrees and
toed in, most of the poorly performing Canti brakes are not adjusted
to the correct geometry. Proper setup of Canti Brakes is a bit of a
lost art these days.

Nowadays the Tektro CR720 Cantilever Brakes are just about as easy to
setup as V brakes, mostly due to the fact that they use regular V-
brake style brake pads. The only thing more fiddly on these is setting
up the straddle cable correctly. The Pauls would also be just as easy
to setup right, or again any canti brake that uses the threaded V
brake brake pads.

anyway thats my 2 cents.

Will