On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM, scott <clankbonesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Gang,
>    My bike has felt extra bouncy lately. Filled up the tires today
> and they were low. Still bouncy. Looked at my brooks saddle rails and
> one of them is broken. Looks like it has been that way for a little
> while, too. So, good news is that the other rail is strong, bad news
> is its broken. This saddle has 10,000 plus miles easy. Lots of touring
> time. So, I don't want to replace it because the top is so perfectly
> broken in, and there is a ton of nose bolt left. I know I can get a
> replacement frame from Wallingford ($31), or I can have my roommate
> weld it for me and see how that holds up. The saddle is not under
> warranty (about 5 years old or so). So my question is if any of yall
> have welded a busted rail or replaced a frame? Tips? Hints? Make me
> feel better cuz I'm a bit bummed (pun?) about this.
>
>   Thanks
>      Scott in Chicago

I've replaced the the frame on a brooks. It just takes perserverance
and brute force. But that wsa nearly 3 years ago and the saddle is
still going strong.

Just curious, was your broken rail one of the copper plated ones?

Here's a not-so-good explanation of replacing the rails:
http://cyclingspokane.blogspot.com/2007/02/my-weak-contribution-to-people-who-want.html

--
John Speare
Spokane, WA USA