> Chrismas lights run on
> 120v, and the generator is rated at 6v"

OK that statement tells me you're going to need a little bit more help
than a Radio Shack URL. :-)

You can't use lights that are designed for 120V line power. And I have
no idea what power those draw, but it's probably more than 3W per
strand.

You want something like these:
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/Battery-Operated-10-Multicolored-Mini-Christmas-Lights-6-inch-Spacing-Green-Wire--19469.htm

Since you only have about $4 spent on the lights, just cut off the
battery case and connect the wires to your hub instead. The hub has
it's own current limiting so it should be safe. As for the lights, if
you over-drive them and they burn out, meh, you're only out $4.

Or if it makes you nervous try two strands wired in series, (which
would be connect positive of strand A to negative of strand B). I
think the worst that would happen then is the lights be too dim.

Good luck,
-Allan

PS> I'm ASSUMING the generator hub has an internal current limiter. I
know the SON hubs do. I don't know your Shimano hub does. If you do
something to let the magic white smoke out of your hub, please don't
blame me.