Your experience with a 1972 Paramount is interesting.  I have a 1977
P-15 Paramount, that I'm still riding, and I've never experienced any
problems with speed wobbles.  It's a 26" frame bike with a 110mm
extension on the stem.  It's rock steady descending on steep roads
with speeds attained of 45-55mph..

The only bike, that I've ridden, that exhibited a tendency toward
speed wobbles was a 63 cm Pogliaghi Italcorse bike I purchased in
1974.  It would occasionally develop a speed wobble riding on a level
road, that I could dampen fairly easily by pressing one knee against
the top tube.  For some reason, it never developed a speed wobble
while descending (and this was while I lived in Boulder, CO where
there were many opportunities for fast descents!).

It would interesting to know what combination of factors are
attributable to a bike having a tendency for speed wobbles.

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ