in the eighties i had a bianchi ( superleggera, reparto corsa) that
would shimmy. i have noticed, over the years, that the new frames,
including my riv's, with the the new tubing seem to have more strength
torsionally. my experience is that these modern frames are much less
likely to shimmy than their older counterparts. i also had a basso
"loto" that was prone to shimmy. my rivs, ( ram, rom, and roadeo )
have never showed any sign of shimmy. of course, they were constructed
with the modern, larger diameter tubing.even grant p. once mentioned
that his current framesets( from the ram on) are much better than the
old small diameter tubesets of the old days.
bottom line, steel is real and continues to improve.
don c.