On Dec 23, 2:16 pm, robert zeidler <zeidler.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With no disrespect to anyone, especially during this joyous time, plastic
> ties on a +/- $4000.00 bike is just atrocious.  Learn the use of a few basic
> tools and use the correct fasteners.  For a "get-you-home" or temp repair,
> OK, but in the words of my first shop-teacher, it's "hack".

I suggest that while Rivendell definitely markets to the rider with "a
job and bicycle prorities", the underlying aesthetic of Rivendell
bikes is absolutely a loving and benign sense of "hack". For evidence,
I submit the old tan Atlantis flyer of several years ago, which showed
a number of Atlantii (??) in various types of build-up, with all
manner of baskets, zip-ties and other funkinesses on them. I'd also
look up Grant's multiple articles/photo essays on "Beausage" (a word I
still stumble over when I actually try to use it in a sentence because
it feels made-up), all of which practically glorify the bike that is
well-ridden, a bit dirty, maybe even a little dented and has paint
worn off the edges of the fork crown and all the stays.

While some folks may ride a $4,000.00 bike because it's spendy or
fancy, some folks may choose to ride a $4,000.00 Rivendell simply
because it's well-made, and durable enough to see them out. And for
those of us who fall into that category, there are lovely zip-ties.

I hope the inventor of the zip-tie didn't die broke.

Beth