I agree with Steve on this.  The selection of the Berthoud bag's size
(height) is generally determined by the spacing, and it doesn't
necessitate that the bag be completely filled!  A large bag is,
however, handy if you wish to carry something large but not especially
heavy (it can easily be used to do some shopping for produce or such
at a farmer's market, for example).  The larger bag will also
accommodate a light pullover or windjacket which can come in handy on
a day's ride.

Jim Cloud