I've had a set of Jack Browns on my Quickbeam since getting it in May
'09, and I've probably got near 2500 miles on them. They seem to ride
just fine, but I'm wondering what I should be looking for to know if
the tread is worn out. I'm 180 lbs., for what it's worth, and I assume
these should have a max lifespan of about 3000 miles?

If the original 'checkerboard tread' has been worn down to totally
smooth, are they worn out? Or are they basically fine until all tread
is gone? As expensive as good tires are I'm not eager to change sooner
than necessary, but I do have a set of Schwalbes waiting that I'd like
to try out, maybe just to mix up my riding with new rubber?