on 1/3/11 12:09 PM, Anne Paulson at anne.paul...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:
>

>> The Atlantis doesn't have geometry intended for use with a heavily
>> loaded handlebar bag.  I can't compare it with a Hilsen, but I can
>> compare with a Kogswell P/R.
>
> So what's the tradeoff? Grant designed the Atlantis's geometry
> intentionally, to do whatever it is he likes. If he had instead made
> it like the Kogswell, what would he have been giving up to get the
> neutral handling with a handlebar bag?

There have been a number of threads regarding geometry and high vs. low
trail over on the ibob list. There are strong opinions and proponents of
each approach, and you can get a good sense of the specific tradeoffs of
each design choice.

It's probably better to start a new thread (rather than rename this one), if
folks want to discuss this again. We have talked about it, and IIRC, GP even
offered up some of his observations on the subject. Here's a quick, "gotta
get back to work" search on this list -

http://tinyurl.com/rbw-trail-talk

- Jim / list admin

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com

"The bike between her legs was like some hyper-evolved alien tail she'd
somehow extruded, as though over patient centuries; a sweet and intricate
bone-machine, grown Lexan-armored tires, near-frictionless bearings, and gas
filled shocks."

William Gibson - "Virtual Light"