On issue regarding front bags that has not been mentioned is cross
winds.  Anne mentioned it was quite windy on the brevet.  A large boxy
front bag (I use the Acorn Boxy Rando mostly) has quite a bit of "sail
area" as well as sticking toward the front.  I definitely notice cross
winds but it's not much of a control issue.  Prior to the Acorn, I
used Riv's Hobo and Bar Tube.  These both sit close to the bars and I
never noticed a cross wind issue with them.  Most of my riding is
utility and touring so I lean toward capacity and convenience.  For an
event such as a brevet, however, the bar tube for immediate needs such
as food, combined with a saddlebag for clothes, tools, tubes, etc.,
may be a better selection.

dougP