As a new owner and new to this style of riding.  This style of riding being
larger tires, more upright position, more comfort oriented.

My question is what makes the Rivendell Bike Different.

I notice that even with Custom builds that Tire Clearance is less than.
Full tour bikes that will only run 700x35 with fenders. I have two.. a FUJI
Tour and a Giant OCR Tour.

This is my Giant
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tksleeper/5179941844/in/set-72157625210417815/

It's my uninformed opinion that the lower bottom bracket appears to be
unique or rare compared..  does this cotribute to the ride.

I notice my Riv's feel quicker (even if they aren't) than my other bikes of
similar weight.

I seem to have a more comfortable ride which I attribute to the steal and
fit etc.

So even though I read that LHT's are great and we can use this or that I
haven't found that to be true.  My Giant OCR has been a good friend on
tours, but it doesn't have the same feel as my Bombadil.  (I do admit to
liking and missing my disc brakes= only when stopping-minor detail)

Anyway right or wrong I've found myself looking at bikes and seeing that
it's not just steel or a leather saddle or bags that is Riv'ish .. it's not
some cult of practicality even.
But as a package of geometry (I am dumber than box of rocks on that subject)
size and style combined that make the rivendell bike.

If I got the same ride quality and handling and feel from an LHT or a Gunner
at 500 bucks I'ld go there, but I don't .. this could be because I'm 6'5"
tall or it could be I'm delusional.

What makes the Rivendell Different.. how does one explain that difference to
those that just see a steel antique looking bke?

Kelly