There's a really fine line here.  Which aspects are worth dwelling
upon and obsessing over and which aspects are to be discarded, freeing
your mind and your soul to just be happy and enjoy yourself?  I'm
pretty certain Grant can't tell you.  There are details of his frame
designs that he never talks about, never posts about, and that you and
I would never notice, but he obsesses over.  There are other design
details that customers dwell and obsess over, to which Grant correctly
says 'not a big deal, just enjoy yourself' to the handwringers.  Some
of us use to be weight weenies in a past life and now we're bag-
matchers.  Some of us brag about how we stop and smell the roses, but
are infuriated that we can't find the right shade of celery green
cloth tape, or can't post on the forum without pointing out that we
are rocking 584mm rims.

My two cents on the original question is that the rider makes the
Rivendell.  The designs and the business ethos of RBW I think at least
enables a certain kind of relationship between bike and rider that is
not unique or new, but is also not universal or even common.
Certainly not 100% of Rivendell owners feel a deep emotional
attachment to their Riv(s), but it's my opinion that a higher fraction
of Rivs than most other makes are loved the way a favorite pet is
loved.  Maybe not like a child, spouse, or other close relation, but
not far short.  Some people buy a Riv and say after the fact "I
thought it was going to be some magic carpet of cycling and it just
didn't do anything for me".  Some people who have a number of Rivs
even have that underwhelmed feeling.  I mark that up to the
relationship, not the bike.  It's like when two people meet, and you
thought they'd hit it off and something just doesn't click.  Anyway, I
just don't think that Specialized or Cannondale owners have that kind
of vibe with their bikes, even if they 'love' their bikes.  I think
Riv owners 'get' their bikes.  Also, I think that few Rivs are
flaunted like trophies.  There's plenty of snobbery among us, to be
sure.  Some of us scoff at plastic fenders and zip ties with the same
sneer that dismisses brifters, crabon, and disc brakes, but I think
we'd all be in an uproar over the thought of a Riv as a collectors
item.  It has to be ridden.  There's a fine line there, too.  Get all
worked up over massive mileage or brevets and you'll run the risk of
being called out for not smelling the roses enough or draw the "I
don't have to fill out a card and have a Frenchman authenticate it to
tell ME I had a good ride!" crack from the crowd.

This response is all over the place, but I think it's a complicated
set of emotions and feelings, and I think it has as much to do with
people as it does with bikes.