I can't say whether or not this will definitely work or not since I do
not have a Kindle, but I would try using Calibre to convert the PDF to
either a MOBI or AZW file.  If you don't have Calibre, I would
recommend getting it if you purchase e-books in other formats, as it
is a very handy thing to have if you want to convert a Nook or iBook
to be read in Kindle.  I have also used it to convert textbooks from
PDF to ePUB to be read in iBooks because I am also not as happy with
the way that PDF files look compared to ePUB on my iPad.  Here is the
link (btw, it's free):

http://calibre-ebook.com/