I'm expectin to be dragging my 180 # butt and 35# of bike plus day gear - no
overnight, it's a SAGged ride.  Noodling with numbers I think an 18 to 20
gear would let me spin at 4 to 5 mph, but that'll be at my peak power.  It's
said to be 1/2 mile, so that could take worst case 10 minutes.  Doesn't
sound like much, but I don't think I've ever done such a thing.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM, charlie <charles_v...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I believe I am as I live in the foothills of Mt. Rainier.......I think
> if I only had a 40-50 pound load I would be fine with my present
> gearing. When I say "touring load" I mean around my middle.......due
> to age, sedentary life, too many carbs, bad sleep habits, too much
> stress. Not giving up though.
>
> On Jan 15, 1:54 pm, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 16:48 -0500, Ken Freeman wrote:
> > > Are any of you regularly dealing with 12% grades?  How is it?
> >
> > 12% is fine with a 24x30, 700x32 wheel for me.  Not with a touring load,
> > of course.  I no longer tour with 40-50 lb in panniers, but I did back
> > in the 1990s with an 18" low on terrain that steep.  However, that was
> > the only time I used the 18".

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA