I did my first brevet yesterday on my A. Homer Hilsen.  It was an
absolutely gorgeous day in Marin.  The course went from the southern
tip of the Golden Gate Bridge, across the bridge, through Sausalito,
Larkspur, San Anselmo, over and out to Point Reyes, meandering all the
way out to Point Reyes Lighthouse.  We then backtracked to Highway 1
around Tomales Bay and headed north to the town of Marshall, then back
down 1, aroun Nicasio Reservoir and back down through the Marin towns
to the GG bridge, 206km later.

I saw a few other Rivendells.  One large Orange Rambouillet, a big
Hilsen, a Romulus, and a Saluki.  There were several other 650B
bikes.  One oldtimer did it on a Soma fixie.

As my very first brevet and my first ride of that distance in 10 years
or so, I set a modest goal of 11 hours.  I was beyond thrilled to get
in at the official time of 9:22.  The Hilsen was spectacular,
especially on a course featuring tons of varied quality pavement (the
technical term the SFR group leader used was "craptastic").  Many a
racing bike rider commented on envying my enormous tires (the 38
Somas).

I got to meet the legendary Esteban before the ride, which was another
highlight.  He was applauded by the group for coming all the way from
San Diego to join us.

I took some photos.  I'll try to add some descriptions later this
morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/sets/72157625888508162/with/5380808905/