When I'm out and about using a U-lock, the Sheldon Brown method is my
preferred choice.  Do have the luxury of having Pitlocks for the
wheels available and will use them in appropriate situations.  At
work, I use the Kryptonite "New York" lock.  However, it does stay on
the rack in the garage.  A heavy sucker to tote around.

For riding in DC I'd think that should suffice.  Although if you
wanted to also throw a cable lock around the front wheel, that
couldn't hurt.

Also, will take the bags off the bike when commuting.  In fact, in my
more paranoid moments, will only use one bottle cage.  Just one lest
thing to tempt.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN