Yep please ride to the trails, it's so close and it'll be easy in no time.

Go up tunnel as recommended, but turn right on skyline. Go a mile or so and
look for the redwood trailhead on your left--from there choose either left
or right~it's an 8 mile loop or you can bail out early (look it up on
google). The beginning of west ridge (right) is easy, and most all of east
ridge is super fast. That's a personal favorite when I'm on my atlantis and
looking for a quick ride. I'd also recommend exploring into joaquin miller
as you improve your skills offroad. Sunset trail is pretty mild and swoopy,
if not more of a proper trail. The descents go up from there, but you can
drop down and out on Roads from the top of sunset.

Cheers,

erik

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:12 PM, jose <jose.cor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks William. I saw this bike route on google maps, but I wasn't
> sure if Ashby was too busy or not. I'll give it a shot, not during
> rush hour. :)
>
> Yeah, I commuted on bike in Boulder for a few years before Houston so
> I'm familiar with real hills, but I guess I gotta build my "hill legs"
> back up!
>

> On Jan 26, 8:46 pm, William <tapebu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > From Rockridge take Ashby (13) up to Old Tunnel Road and take that to
> > Grizzly.  Then you can turn left on Grizzly and head out towards
> > Tilden, OR you can just go straight on Skyline instead to Sibley
> > volcanic reserve.  It has trails to explore, including trails used by
> > Jay and Vaughn on their youtube documented commute to RBWHQ.  Old
> > Tunnel is the shallower way up the hil from the Rockridge side.
> >
> > On Jan 26, 5:50 pm, jose <jose.cor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Can anyone recommend some trail loops they like in the Berkeley
> > > Hills / Tilden Park area? Swoopy fire roads, nothing technical but
> > > still fun.
> >
> > > I just moved to the area (Rockridge) and I'm looking for some short
> > > ( 15 - 20 miles) jaunts out in the hills.
> >
> > > Last week, the weather being what it was (ie perfect) I jumped on the
> > > bike and meant to go explore the trails around Inspiration Point.
> > > However, I made the mistake of of going up Centennial Rd and I was
> > > cooked by the time I got to Grizzly Peak! I turned around, and coasted
> > > back down the hill. Ha!  I guess I'll have to drive to the trailhead
> > > (lame) for now, until I get into better shape. I road my bike everyday
> > > in Houston and thought I was in decent shape, but I guess I wasn't in
> > > hills-shape.

oakland, ca
bikenoir.blogspot.com