Bob,

IMHO, it appears to be the "quality" of the tire that makes things
work for me.  I have big "fast" tires and big "slow" tires.  I get
occasional flats on the faster tires both large and small.  Add all
the kevlar belts etc.. and I get fewer flats and a slower tire.
Larger tires are more comfortable on the rougher roads where I live.

The 700x32 (measure 28-29) Paselas on the Rambouillet feel/measure
faster than 700x35 Paselas.  So I use the smaller 700x32 tires on the
Rambouillet and larger tires on other bikes.

My perceptions...

Angus