> I started on Marathon ?? Plus / Supreme.. the ones with the flat protection
> you could put a thumb tack in without a puncture.

Two different tires.

Marathon plus is the tire with the real thick inner layer:
http://smtp.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_plus_tour

It is designed for people riding in very rugged conditions as one
might find in rural Africa or South America.

The Supreme is a lighter tire made with a special flat resistant
compound:

http://smtp.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_supreme

It has less rolling resistance than the plus.

> Then I bought my Bombadil with 700x50 Big Apples.. WOW.. why would anyone
> tour on anything less that that?????

If you have a bike that can accommodate Big Apples they are definitely
worth considering.  Very comfortable tires.