Gary,

I have a 26" wheeled All-Rounder that I have toured with.  32 spokes
on the rear was marginal, 36 I didn't have a problem but I weigh 150
and don't carry a lot of gear.

Riding loaded, off-road, I would go large on the tire size and see
what rim the manufacturers recommend.  Mine are 23mm rims (older Sun
CR-18s, Phil hubs) and I have used both 26x1.75 and currently 26x2.0
tires.

I error on the side of robustness.

Angus