Well the change is almost complete to the point it feels normal, and
surprising.  I honestly didn't think many of the things I was changing would
stay with me.  I've ridden long enough to understand speed and sprints and
hurting and doing centuries all over the country remembering only the pace
line.  So I wasn't as sure about platform pedals, heavier bikes, larger
tires, sitting upright, and all the other stuff.

Well I have reference the joy several times.  Well the newness has worn off
a bit, the bikes have earned scratches and scrapes.  We bikes and I have
experianced snow, rain, dirt, mud, traffic and alone time on back pathes
along the rivers.  They unlike me photograph beautifully.

So after several hundred miles and on track for another 4 to 6 thousand mile
year the following is where I stand.

*Platform pedals* - Still the thing I most often consider changing ..
however everytime I thing about it I realize that 85% of the time I like my
grip kings and shoe choice and comfort .. not to mention my feet just aren't
as cold in regular hiking shoes.

*Wider Tires* - Ok on my tour bike I could understand 700x35's and enjoyed
them.  I would never have considered 700x35's for daily riding however
untill I got my AHH.  The JB lights have been fantastic and given me a great
fast ride.  (especially when I put some air in them) Then when I got my
Bombadil with 700x50 big apples and road some 30 and 50 mile rides I was
just amazed.  Yes they are slower, accerlation is slower.. but on a normal
social ride it hasn't mattered.  Thrilled.. I am one who will NEVER ride a
700x23 tires again.

*Upright riding position-* My experiance had been on my older tour bike that
the more upright position meant my ass hurt sooner and was out of the
question for longer rides.  (nose up saddle position fixed this fyi) I
always believed an aggressive riding position distributed the weight to my
hands and legs etc causing less stress on my rear.  Also meant many miles of
base riding to get comfortable in that position for long 100 to 120 mile
rides.

*Mental- *This goes with most topics but since I lost speed .. which I don't
care about or so I kept telling myself I was concerned.  I'm at the point
where to quote someone on here.. it's been "fun per hour over mph" thus I'm
enjoying a new chapter in riding and back to riding .. the bikes don't just
sit.. I don't dread getting on the bike anymore.  Sometimes change is good.
Please don't get me wrong.  The fast days were fun. I reached all my speed
goals and distance goals and extreme stuff for me.  I was burnt on it.

*Dyno Lighting *- I bought a SON28 and then put it on my AHH as a temp thing
with thoughts of taking it off during the summer and spring and such.  Maybe
putting it on a different bike for just night time runs to the store.  Well
I fell in love with it. It hasn't been off the bike and won't be coming
off.  When I ordered the Bombadil I ordered it with a Son28.  I can't find a
reason to not run these hubs.

Peronsal opinion here:  I bought an Edelux light and then purchased the
supernova E3 Triple for the Bombadil.  Yes the supernova is super bright but
the Edelux does more than I need and gets to full brightness at 2mph or so
..if I had it to do over again I would purchase another edelux.. the beama
and the light are spectacular.  Just my opinion and it may change as time
goes on.

*Lycra Spandex Free - *I am just as comfortable without it. I don't
understand it and am not going to lose sleep over it.  I honestly didn't
think I would last more than a few short rides.  Now I've ridden several 50+
and a couple of 60 mile rides where when I got home I was ready to go ride
more.  It's been a non issue.  The musa pants I purchased from Riv have been
very comfortable.   Ilike the olive with the velcro better than the blue
with the zipper legs for looks only.  The blue are less hassel for riding
actually.  I always forget to velcro the legs closed on the olive ones.
Hell I've done 30 mile rides in blue jeans on a new brooks b17.  I believe
it's the nose up saddle position that has changed things and maybe fit of
bike??

*Bags- *Nigel Smythe - kinda says it all.  I used to use the fizik saddle
bag that slid into the saddle that would hold a tube and an inflater.
That entire bag would fit loosly into the side compartment of either of my
Nigel Smythes.  Lovin it!

*Bikes*
**
*AHH *Regardless of having earned it's first gouge and being blown off the
kickstand a couple of times it is a joy.   Everytime I get on it I feel like
it's a part of me.  It's handled 40+mph downhills comfortably and has been
nothing but stable.

*Bombadil- *I put a tubus nova lowrider on it then loaded up my panniers
with 60lbs or more of gear.  I had planned a 2 block ride to test the weight
and see how it felt.  25 miles later I got back home.  I was stunned..
honestly .. it didn't ride like a loaded bike.. I enjoyed a ride in the snow
and through small bike pathes etc.  Including a 45 mph downhill with one
hand holding my hat and one on the handle bars. Sweet!!!  Wish I had had
this bike for all my other tours.  This bike also has Albatross bars.. they
will be staying on for awhile.. I'm in shock ove that.. but a a good shock.

Both bikes feel light on the front.  Not a bad thing.. but then all I've
really ridden was compact frame designs with bars usually 3 to 6 inches
below the seat.  I love these bikes.  Last weekend I went for a morning
30ish mile ride on the AHH then after getting home went on a 25 mile ride on
the Bombadil with another friend.

*Touring note Tires:*  I've toured on 700x28 marathon plus supremes and
700x32 and 700x35's on the last tour.  Riding on 700x50s was just as fast,
more stable and will be the standard for me going forward for loaded
touring.
So I'm 6'5" tall 220 lbs and carry on longer tours 60 to 70 lbs of gear ..

*Friends- *I'm in  St Louis Missouri.. folks think the bikes are beautiful
but think I'm nuts which is OK.  I've found 2 or 3 kindred spirits and some
heading this direction while picking my bike up to see how heavy it is..
shrug... and I can't quit talking about it.. :)

Nothing is set in stone and I am not saying anyone "should" anything.. just
passing on what I'm experiancing.  I have doubts but had many more just a
few months ago.  The freedom and simplicty has made it for me.  I remember
the days of taking 30 minutes just to get ready for a ride.  Now I just get
on the bike .. oh ya.. no flats in last 3 months.

Give things a try and make up your own mind.. :)

Kelly