Mystery solved - it's the ID of the lock ring.

The original Tange BBs came with an aluminum ring that measures
nominally 23 mm ID where it contacts the cartridge.  Shimano uses a
plastic ring measuring 24.5 mm at the same point.  Attempting to use
the Tange lockring on a Shimano cartridge places an end load on the
cartridge as the ring is tightened.

When I replaced the original, Riv installed BB on my Atlantis (after
5-6 years and 20,000 miles ??), I recall being wary of the plastic
lock ring but figuring I'd use what came with the Shimano BB.  I hung
onto the original aluminum one "just in case".  Yesterday I was
attempting to re-use the Tange aluminum lockring with the new Shimano
cartridge, hence the binding.

So Shimano & Tange are interchangeable, but can't be mixed & matched.
If the plastic lockring gives trouble I'll just file out the aluminum
lockring to give clearance.

dougP