I saw this listing on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1983-TREK-520-LUGGED-FRAME-AND-FORK-RIVENDELL-GEOMETRY-/250770864553?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item3a631bb9a9

Somebody selling a 1983 Trek 520.  He puts Rivendell in the title,
presumably to attract potential buyers.  That in itself is
interesting, that a tiny sliver company like Riv is so influential
that it's used a hook to sell a Trek (or a Raleigh, or a Specialized,
as we've all seen repeatedly).  This seller goes one step further with
the text:

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A RIVENDELL FRAME. BUILD THIS LOW BB FRAME
TO YOUR OWN SPECS !

If you tried to attract a Riv-fancier with the title, is it smart to
then bash Riv calling it a waste?  Clearly the seller meant something
more along the lines of "my frame is just as good as a Rivendell, only
cheaper and older", but I'm not sure he said what he meant.  Does it
amuse you how people sell their non-Rivendell stuff as Rivendell-ish?
Is there another bicycle business in the WORLD that is both smaller
and yet more influential than Rivendell?