On Feb 18, 7:04 pm, EricP <ericpl...@aol.com> wrote:
> Interesting.  As in the 1980's I often could bend "oversized" solid
> axles.  As in the ones with flats on two sides to fit in the
> dropouts.  Then it was purely the metal quality. Cro-mo versus mild
> steel.

May be it was metal quality. I never broke or don't know of anyone who
broke or bend NR axles. However, I broke 3 axles - 2 Campy, 1 Wheel
Mfrg - on my early 90s C-Record rear hub. It might have been poor
metal quality, misaligned dropouts (hard to align as my frame was
carbon), or that I was running a 7 speed fw instead of 5/6 that were
used on the NR hubs.

> As to Campy, only have a passing knowledge of the brand.  My actual
> ownership has been limited to a peanut butter wrench.  They don't make
> items I've generally been interested in using.

Campy products are usually very well made. On occasions, their
functionality or execution have not been up to standard - think delta
brakes and synchro shifters - but their hubs were never a problem. The
current generation of cassette hubs from 1999 to present have an
oversized axle. That makes up for the weaker inboard bearing design.
Nevertheless, you don't hear about axles breaking or bending. So, I
suspect the oversized axles is the key. Same with PW fw hubs, it uses
an oversized axle and you don't hear about Phil axles bending or
breaking. Good Luck!