on 2/20/11 7:35 AM, Michael_S at mikeybi...@rocketmail.com wrote:

> Angus, That's exactly my point. If you've ever ridden steep  technical
> terrain off road, you quickly learn never to apply significant
> pressure to the front brake or you'll go right over the bars. In fact
> you frequently use only the rear brake and shift your weight back
> wards on really steep descents to compensate for that weigh transfer.
> On pavement it's less critical due to increased friction and the fact
> that roads aren't as steep.  It just seems common sense to design your
> bike with less powerful front brakes for just that reason.

I do see your point: the front brake is essentially made more effecient by
its placement on the front of a bicycle.

But, I've always been of the "you are safer with a sharp knife/axe" state of
mind. I want my front brake to work well, consistently and effeciently.
Then I'll make compensations with force and timing (and body position).

We used to ride trails with our rear brakes unhooked (and some would just
unhook your rear brake for fun when you weren't looking), just to force
ourselves to get a feel for it. Yes, we stacked hard more than a few times
(which is why I don't recommend it), but we were young and indestructable
then. ;^)   On trails, the rear brake is pretty useless.  As soon as you
start skidding, your speed increases.

There's absolutely an angle of descent which precludes the use of front
braking, but that's pretty close to free-fall, IME. Judicious balancing of
momentum and front braking has been the trick for me in descending.

- J

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com

"That which is overdesigned, too highly specific, anticipates outcome; the
anticipation of outcome guarantees, if not failure, the absence of grace."

William Gibson - "All Tomorrow's Parties"