Before I bought a Rivendell I had a really nice race bike carbon bike
whatever you wish to call it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tksleeper/5155759637/in/set-72157625210417815/

The chase for speed is as bad as the chase for comfort.  Now if I put two
water bottles on my race bike or a front bag and added 5lbs I would not
really "notice" it.  I"m 220lbs so 5 lbs percentage wise is nothing on the
same bike. Yes I believe it makes a difference, just one I can't feel in
most instances.

So if my AHH or Bombadil cost me 15 minutes on a 30 mile ride so be it.  I
can be on a road ride and end up on a path like this..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tksleeper/5535823745/   ...  a place I would
never end up on with the race bike.  Then again the ride that put me here
would never have happened as I was just running to the local starbucks and
ended up on a 40 mile run.  Since I would have had to have gotten dressed
and found shoes and checked on lights and blah blah blah I would have just
gotten in the car.

When I think about missing my spd-r's on a big climb I remember that the
other 90% of the time I love my platforms and the advantages they give me.
For every performance plus there is a trade off.   You can't have everything
and those that try to say you can are the freak aborrations to the norm.
After base miles and stuff my race bike was very comfortable.   with smooth
roads.

Speed isn't just weight and 5 lbs for us bigger riders is very little... and
if you add that weight on the same bike someplace ie: seat bag or something
chances are you will not notice it.   Two bikes .. different bikes are not
apple to apple comparsions....

So yes weight makes a difference in speed at equal all out efforts in time,
most likely not feel.  But on a normal ride for fun I don't believe it makes
any difference at all for me.. even 10 lbs.  Then again I've toured with
85lbs of gear and towed a second bike along just because.

If you ride both bikes you will know which one is to heavy or not as
comfortable or doesn't feel as good.. none of use here can make that
decision.. or make what you think wrong or right. :)

enjoy
kelly