On Mar 18, 12:13 pm, MichaelH <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was headed out for a ride today, when I discovered the 105 hubs I
> was using needed some serious attention.  Long before I was finished I
> came to the conclusion that adjusting these hubs was way harder than
> the '80 vintage Campys I used for 25 years, and way harder than the
> Whites I built up two years ago.

Really? I always found Shimano cassette hubs to be easy to work on.
Similarly, Campy hubs with the oversized axles from 1999 to present
are arguably some of the easiest hubs to work on as all you need are a
couple of hex keys. Granted, the latest edition of Campy hubs only
come in ugly black, but if you can find silver or at least the
"century" dark grey, which are still available, easily serviceable.
You may want to check out park tools for instructions on servicing
hubs:

hub overhaul
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/hub-overhaul-adjustable-type

freehub service
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/freehub-service

> Right now, if I were putting a bike
> together, other than derailleurs and cassettes, I would avoid Campy,
> Sram, and Shimano altogether. There are just too many better
> alternatives available - Pauls brakes, PW & White hubs & BBs, White,
> DaVinci, Sugino, TA cranks, Cane Creek / Tektro levers, Silver
> shifters, Chris King HS, Wipperman chains....  and of course  Nitto
> parts.

I agree in part that many of the products listed are excellent.
However, if one wants Ergo/STI/double tap type shifters, which you
obviously don't, then you can't avoid any of the "big 3." Further, you
mentioned TA cranks - ha, I hope you're not thinking of the now long
discontinued TA Zephyr crank, which were arguably one of the prettiest
cranks ever made. It is a shame that TA discontinued it. Makes you
wonder what they were thinking. Good Luck!