Given that you can see some internal rust and some cracking on the sheathing, I'd guess that this housing got pinched or slightly crushed at some point and it all slowly went downhill from there. Shimano housing is hard to beat, and I really doubt it was a factory defect. It's cheap to replace. I wouldn't try to use brake housing for a derailleur, as it uses larger ferrules which won't fit in your cable stops. You'd just be asking for more trouble!