I had a handicap with the tidiness.  There is a little pinstripe type
tool that carves lines in leather and lines up with the edge.  When I
built the bags I had carved two of these and I just painted the raised
portion in between.

You can see an example of those, pre-painting, on the top flap here -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neutralbuoyancy/5186904832/in/set-72157607896493013/

and some on the front back, sides here -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neutralbuoyancy/5186305169/in/set-72157607896493013/