Bearing numbers are like federal taxes: honest approximations are
fine. My own approach to tight and harsh MKS bearings  on cheap MKS
models (tho' those on the lovely RKS track pedals I owned were better
than those of the old Nuovo Record quills or the new 2008 Dura Ace
cliplesses that I also I had) is to fill with oil (Phil is good) and
ride and let the natural friction between the less than perfect
surfaces act as grinding medium.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM, MobileBill <bud...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I repacked MKS sylvan touring pedals, which eliminated a host of
> noises, scrapes and annoyances I lived with too long on my saluki. I
> highly recommend buying a pedal cap wrench with the sylvan pedals
> (which are sensible and versatile platform pedals, and one of a
> decreasing number of decent pedals compatible with power grips). Have
> proudly mastered tightening that annoying recessed cone properly. But
> have created a new problem. I discovered 21 bearings in one pedal, 22
> bearings in the other. Nevermind who dropped the bearing (I still
> believe it came that way). Does anyone know the size of these
> bearings(they're not one-eighth and I wonder if they might be metric?)
> Does it matter being a bearing short (this is a pedal after all, not a
> wheel hub and it certainly FEELS smooth with the new grease, a lot
> smoother than it was)? Should I worry at all with Sheldon's old
> warning that all bearings ought to be replaced at once (this is a
> pedal after all)?

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact