Jason,

I've built a couple sets of wheels now, and relied on both the Brandt
and Brown descriptions/instructions. I think you can pass on the the
Brandt book if you're just looking to build wheels, rather than
understand all the physics of what's going on.

That said, I found this guy's videos to be EXTREMELY helpful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXpxmqEaxb0

That's not the first video in the series, but it gives an idea of what
each is like. He explains things very well, and you just can't beat
actually watching a skilled mechanic assemble a wheel.

Give yourself plenty of time, and take lots of breaks. Enjoy - it
really is a fun process and something you can be proud of when you're
out on the road.

Adam D.