On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 3:53 AM, islaysteve <alkire...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I wonder if iPhones and other
> devices with GPS can be set up to do the same.  Just carry the iPhone
> in the bag.  I realize that this goes in the opposite direction of
> your wish to simplify!  Steve

Yeah, there are numerous such apps, mostly targeted towards people doing
some sort of training regiment -- not my style.  Thing is, I want something
that I can set and forget with, at most, bi-annual battery changes.   This
rules out wireless computers in my bag (too many battery changes, most have
to be manually started, etc), my phone (many rides would far exceed my
phone's battery life!), etc.

I just remembered that I do have an old Sigma BC 400 bicycle computer that
had almost no features, speed/trip/odo, sitting in a box somewhere...  maybe
I'll try to figure out a way to mount it under a rear rack. :-)

They have great support... still have manuals for this ~15 year old
speedometer online...

http://www.sigmasport.com/us/service_center/produkt_support/bikecomputer/fragen/?jahrgang=1&produkt=41&gruppe=1&sprache=2&typ=bikecomputer