On Apr 29, 7:02 pm, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now: please give me advice how to get more hoods braking power from
> the Mafac levers and the Mafac cantis?

I heard a great story featuring Sheldon Brown's answer to this
question:

A fellow walks into Harris Cyclery, wanting some help with the set-up
his cantilever brakes.  The first responder immediately pages Sheldon
Brown, who, busy fixing bikes at the moment, asks, "what kind of
brakes?"

The customer replies, "Mafac cantilevers - I can't get them to stop
with any power.  What do you suggest?"

Sheldon answers without ever looking at the bike, "get new brakes."

Seriously, though - J.P. Weigle seemed quite fond of these brakes and
Paul Curley, a cyclocross legend, still uses these on his race bike.
so that's endorsement enough, i think.  granted, from my time spent
watching them ride, brakes are merely speed adjusters - they are both
very skilled riders who rely on their handling skills in situations
where some would be grabbing a handful of brake.