Don't put any grease on the spindles.  The cranks slide onto them
"dry".  At least this is what my LBS told me.  The bolt which holds
them on should be greased though.

I'm one for Phil Wood grease or it's equivalent and Locktite Blue
"Designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which
require normal disassembly with standard hand tools" such as those
fender to rack bolts.  It's super annoying to have a fender start
rattling 1/2 way to work and be required to remove the wheel just to
tighten the bolt.